Sunday, April 29, 2007

Headline Today: Alexa Confronts Host Sister

Just got done with a rather heated 'discussion' with my host sister, Raquel. Goodness. . . that was crazy! I am red in the face and still shaking from it.

I had had a rather nice day in Gijon with Sara. We ate pizza and croquetas (look like fried cheese balls, just with potato, ham, and cheese inside) in Gijon then found some sweet snacks before returning to Oviedo to work on our Madrid trip and watch Happy Feet. However, when I got back home the food I had eaten yesterday ('lomo,' a pork loin type think. . .) was gone, which was what I was considering eating. Instead there was only some weird looking chicken stuff that looked like a dog had spit it out or something (it looked fine on Friday. . .) and some rice stuff with tuna and chicken chunks or something (similar to a food we've eaten before). I was not really in the mood for that and would've liked something not so heavy to munch on. And on top of that the small plate of rice I ate even made me feel sick afterward. So after walking Sara part way home and mentioning that I would complain to my host mom about this weekend's food supply, I decided I'd just ask Raquel when I got in if her mom had left money to buy food or something. Bad idea.

Raquel pretty much exploded at me, saying it was a lie and there was everything to eat in the house (she kept saying 'hay de todo!'-- that's great, I don't think there is 'de todo'). She just kept going through all the things that we had had and that 'you like those, we had those,' not really understanding that I didn't have options, just rice and chicken today. 'What more do you need?' she kept asking. I don't get it. I tried to say that for me a meal is not just one thing, it's a little bit of vegetables or fruit and some meat or pasta. And she didn't understand she just kept saying 'Don't get mad!' though it was really her getting mad which made me more upset. I just came in to ask one little question, trying to assure myself that there might be something to eat tomorrow, and instead I got a huge fight.

Oh, I tried, I tried to explain and make her understand how I felt. That I am not used to eating like this and can't take such heavy food all the time/anymore, I told her I just needed another option ('There's always 2 or 3 things!' she says-- 'What do you want me to do, make some chicken then pasta, then fish --because I mentioned fish-- and then some American food --because I said the food here is not the same-- blah blah blah?!') Wow. The only thing she seemed to accept that I said was having fruit and at least some lettuce around if I don't want to eat the leftovers. (And that's it for new foods now too. . .)

I could really go on and on about all she said, but I think a lot of the problem was her explosion. She was expecting me to do this, and I told her that it seemed like it. Then she said she was mad so quick because she's noticed me come to the kitchen and open the fridge then leave without eating anything, and she didn't understand why. Well why the **** didn't she ask me!! That's what I kept saying. If you wondered, if you were mad, why didn't you ask me? Because she kept telling me I could say I wanted this or this, but she couldn't do anything if she didn't know. . . Wow. Like I said I could just keep going, but I need to settle down somehow now, before I really lose it, so goodnight.

No comments: