Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tut, tut-- looks like rain!

After some gorgeous days, la Costa Verde promises rain again. Sitting at my open window, a crackle of thunder has alerted me to the rain drops, and the need for my umbrella when I head to class soon. Since I'm grabbing whatever WiFi I can get, my laptop and I need to be near (or precariously balancing over the edge of) the window. But it looks like I could have some issues with that now. Oh, and there's the neighbor, taking a quick peek out of her window.




Something smells good in the kitchen, like hamburgers. . . but I doubt it. Here in Spain only one type of meat goes: PORK. And since my host family has some aversion to anything but pork, potatoes, and beans, I've eaten way too much of it. As well as way too many icky parts too. Someone said to me that the Civil War in Spain caused people to value a pig because they could eat for a year from it (including the feet, which I have, to my dislike, tried). They still have pig killing festivals too. One morning during breakfast I happened to see a news story about it, which was unpleasant, though not near as bad as my host sister Raquel telling me how long it would take my host dad's father's body to be cremated. . . Great conversation starter.

No comments: