Thursday, April 26, 2007

Motivation. . . finally!

After a long spout of laziness I've finally been inspired, not to do my hw that was/is due, but to continue work on my two independent study projects. Yesterday I gave a presentation on 'fado,' a traditional type of Portuguese music, for my Portuguese class. We also had an exhibition of Portugal's music, literature, and food that evening, in celebration of the April 25th, 1974 revolution for democracy. Part of the exhibition was a local group of fado singers. During their mini-concert I just wanted to do more research on the origin of fado and current fado singers, etc. Speaking of which. . . I have tickets to Mariza this weekend! She is part of a younger generation of fado singers that are helping fado to gain more recognition and fame, after it was catapulted into the world with fadistas like Amalia Rodrigues. I am really excited, as is my Portuguese buddy Heather (who likes to put yucky pictures of me up on facebook. . .)

Besides fado for excitement, I just attended another immigration discussion on campus. This time it was just one of the speakers from the previous 'Mesa Redonda' (roundtable), Eduardo Romero, specifically talking about immigration to Spain from Africa. Perfect for my honors independent study comparing the historical relationship of the Moors, or Africans, and Spain/Spaniards to the current attitudes and relationships! I even bought his book and intend on finding the first one he wrote. It is titled: Who's invading who?: The 'Plan Africa' and immigration. I am really excited for this now too and have his email address to ask any more questions.

But now I must get stuff done, since we only have about three weeks left of classes. YES! I mean. . oh darn, I have to leave Spain, the country of smokers, drinkers, and the unambitious. . . sadness. On a side note, I did reorganize my room today so I don't permanently ruin my back nor my computer by hovering near the window for the WiFi. . . so that is better too. And last night at the gym I found 2 euros! Cool. Tonight is combat as well, even more exciting. And lastly, I have been getting up before 8am for two days now. Let's see how long I can make that last. . .

No comments: