Monday, May 21, 2007

Portugal Blues

I get to finally realize just how boring and superbly lonely it is to travel by myself. Yay! Saturday was a long day in the bus, fighting the urge to puke most of the time. Sunday was creepy Porto and a day walking around on the beach, then making it to Coimbra after meeting a good amount of new people. And now Monday is here; I walked around Coimbra for 3 hours after breakfast, got lost, realized I didn´t have my bus pass, so I continued walking. . . until I finally reached a familiar landmark. And now I´m back at the internet spot, mostly because I have no where else I want to be. Lovely.

I still need to get a bus or train to Lisboa so I can get to my pension by 6 or 7 tonight. My luggage is at the hostel, which was actually quite nice and came with a big breakfast (half of which I saved for lunch). And the guy at the desk this morning decided I was Spanish because of my hostel card from Spain and the fact that I insert vale into my Portuguese (on accident, just out of habit), which is Spanish for okay. So he thought he was being all smart talking to me in Spanish on my way out. Bah.

At least the sun is starting to shine now. It would have been chilly this morning if I hadn´t been walking nonstop. Hopefully my travel interest perks up with Lisboa (sort of doubting it. . .) I want to go to a fado show and take a few day trips. One to Belem for the pastries, another to the huge park with an Ocenarium, and a third to Sintra, which has large ruins of a Moorish castle. I´ve really been questioning the point of travelling right now (since I have no one to talk to but myself. . .) I spent loads of money just getting from Oviedo to Portugal, yet didn´t spend much time anywhere in particular, and didn´t even step into any of the typical tourist sites (cathedrals, museums, wineries, etc).

Well that´s enough complaints for now I suppose. . . até logo!

No comments: